WELCOME

I'm so excited you've visited my site. My hope is that you'll find encouragement to take control of your life, to stop feeling a victim of your circumstances, and to finally strengthen your mind in order to change your path!

Friday, July 10, 2009

Hello Again!

First, I'd like to thank all my coworkers for being so kind to me yesterday as I left the Press & Sun-Bulletin. I can't tell you how much that meant to hear your words of encouragement and to sense your authentic sadness that we'd no longer be working together. I was very touched and moved by your support. The newsroom can be an exciting, difficult, stressful and exhilarating place to work ... especially in these times in the industry. And my talented and dedicated coworkers in the newsroom made the job lighthearted and enjoyable. I will miss you!

Here's some things I didn't get to say before I left (and I say it with a big grin on my face):

Lori, you know the phrase I will miss the most! Jeff, who will bug me about Twinkies and Dancing to the Oldies now? Valerie, your sweet smile and caring touch will be greatly missed. Adrienne, I can still be your "mom away from home." Kristin, I'll miss you "popping" by my desk to check on me with your bubbly smile. Michelle, you've been so generous to me with flexibility....I know those tears were from the heart. Al and Calvin, you've gone to bat for me numerous times - for which I'm ever so grateful. Jen, I'll miss coming in on a terrible winter morning to see you at the computer furiously keeping up with the school closings. John and Becky - I won't be hearing "Jillian" news - I wish you the best...keep her half Iowan! David, I wish I could have worked with you more...the motorcycle was a very interesting twist for a man in a suit jacket! Bob, you always handled difficult calls with much grace - a wonderful quality (you, too, David)! Nancy, you're a pistol - full of energy - if only you could bottle it up and sell it (I will miss your laugh!). Doug, keep flying and ignore those air disasters - I regret I didn't get to see you much since you moved to that hidden spot in the corner! John and Vanessa, I wish you health and happiness on this new journey in your lives - change is exciting. My-Ly, thanks for trusting me so completely with my business page responsibilities. George, you've been so nice to me, thank you! Ed, am I supposed to miss you the most, like Ann? Connie, you are so thoughtful - I will miss that. Tom and Eric, I haven't gotten to know you as well, but I appreciate all your work. Chris, no more customer complaints to pass on to you - sorry! Dave and Skippy, I've missed you guys already by being off the copy desk... And Ann, that sturdy Iowan upbringing sure comes in handy, doesn't it??? To anyone I didn't list here, my apologies. There's only one thing I won't miss.....can you guess? Those phone calls - especially the ones that come in on full moons! My best wishes to you all, and thank you for making my time at the P & SB enjoyable.

Now, down to business! I hope many of my old Press & Sun-Bulletin readers are joining me today on this site. Hello, again! While my location might be new to you, my discussion about health and fitness will not be new ... you can count on me to continue discussing the topic as I always have!

This week has been a tad stressful. Just a tad. Ha! In the midst of it all, I've made sure to fit in my exercise. In fact, a former co-worker called me tonight to see how I was doing about not returning to P & SB and she caught me in the middle of the Kenpo routine for P90X!

Aerobic exercise is fabulous for releasing stress. Trust me, I know this! I've had tons of pent up energy and emotions this week - I just kicked a little harder and a little higher during my Kenpo routine! It felt good. No, it felt great! Was I still facing the same situations by the end of my routine? Obviously, yes. But with much greater calm and perspective.

If you're experiencing stress and anxiety, don't neglect exercise. Do yourself AND your loved ones a favor by handling your stress in a constructive and healthy way!

6 comments:

  1. Valerie! I heard this afternoon via a text message from Adrienne and I nearly fell out of my chair. Count me in as one of the many, many people at the PSB that will miss you dearly. The news desk was never really the same since you left -- I can't even quantify how grateful I am to you for working so hard to train me for so many months ... and the sacrifices you made for me to allow me to be able to see my family, I really cannot express how much that meant to me. On top of all that, in all seriousness, your blog inspired me to clean up my diet and get back to the gym. I ran 6.45 miles tonight after work, and that energy and good feeling I get after a long run or a good workout is what helps me get through unbelievably tough days like yesterday and today. ... I wish I'd had a chance to say goodbye today, I really do. I think every single person in the office would agree with me that the place cannot and will not be the same without Valerie's chipper attitude and smile that lit up the room every day. Thanks, again, for everything you did for me, from my Day 1 ... I would not be in the position that I'm in without your guidance and support. I'm really going to miss you.

    --skippy

    PS: Obviously, count me in as a PSB reader who'll follow you back to Blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back and reading! Good for you getting back into your workout.

    Yesterday when I left the office, I stopped by Dick's for a new pair of running shoes (New Balance, made in the USA) and hit the rail trail.

    your neighbor,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Val - I will follow you almost anywhere. :)

    I was sorry to learn that you were in the July 9 mess at P&SB. As I noted to a former employee there, I was reading some notes I had found of my father's - on the closing of the Otsego bureau years ago - and I think he saw a lot of this coming well before it really came.

    Anyway, off to run or watch part of the Tour de France or both if work doesn't interfere. Where is your daughter headed this fall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone, thanks for the lovely comments. Jennifer - you're a newbie...I don't think I've heard you before. Thanks so much for following my blog.

    Skippy - you were an absolute pleasure to work with! Nothing on the job can compare to working with PLEASANT and hard-working people! I wish I could have said good-bye as well... I hope to see you around town.

    And Nicki - yes, maybe your dad saw the writing on the wall. It's a very, very difficult industry to be in right now. My blessings go out to all those toughing it out and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie:
    I'm so glad you will keep blogging! You'll never know how many people you've inspired and helped along the path to better health.
    I ran today and really struggled. Then I read your post about pushing yourself. I'm going to push myself harder the next time.
    You're still my inspiration!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your encouragement! Gosh, I sure hope I've touched lives for the better - that has been my goal all along. AND I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! Running can be very difficult - some days harder than others. The running isn't as important as being CONSISTENT in doing exercise in the first place - and pushing yourself enough that you're exerting yourself. If you're having an exceptionally hard day with running, try cutting your running short by 5-10 minutes and fill those minutes in with power walking. You might feel energized the next day to run the whole way... Keep at it - you're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful in any comments you choose to leave...thank you!