WELCOME

I'm so excited you've visited my site. My hope is that you'll find encouragement to take control of your life, to stop feeling a victim of your circumstances, and to finally strengthen your mind in order to change your path!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yay, a Treadmill!

Hello everyone,

Thanks for bearing with my sporadic posts! In case you didn't know, I'm pursuing my MBA degree and so my posts are much fewer during semesters due to my course load, working full time, and managing a family.

And while my time to post is much less, my passion for health is unchanged! Some of you know that I debated about buying a treadmill last year, and chose a membership at a local health club instead.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a treadmill this week! I'm so pumped about it. It's my investment in our family's health. My daughter and I are diligent about exercise - and running. We run outdoors in good weather and daylight, and indoors on treadmills during inclement weather or evening hours.

My membership at the fitness club ran out at the end of November. What to do??? I could renew it for about $200. That's my membership only. If I wanted to make a family membership, we're talking a lot more money. So I put the idea of a treadmill up for debate again. I know for a fact that my daughter and I will use it faithfully, and I'm confident that my other children will as well.... With my MBA course load, I'm finding that I can't find the time to run until late in the evening - and I WON'T run in the dark. (That's another story!)

I already have an elliptical machine in my basement. I use that on days I take a break from running. I obviously have a flight of stairs into the basement - they're my "stairmaster" (my kids HATE that I run those stairs - ha!). And now I have the treadmill. I went down at 10:00 p.m. tonight and ran 3 miles and walked 1.5 miles. Yeehaw. And I didn't have to drive 15 minutes to the club and 15 minutes back home. I LOVE IT! Running is my number one choice of drug. Um, exercise! :-)

I refuse to let the busyness of life get in the way of my health. I've been overweight and out of shape before....and I don't want to go back. Living with energy and vitality is well worth the effort.

Maybe you don't have the funds for a treadmill, or an elliptical, or any other machine. That's not the point. What I hope to communicate is that you can find ways to integrate exercise in your life. It's not how much you spend (look at my "stairmaster" steps!) - it's that you don't allow excuses to keep you from pursuing good health! While a treadmill is what I chose as the instrument to continue my exercise in the circumstances of MY life right now, yours might be something else. Maybe you NEED a fitness club membership to give you accountability. Maybe exercise DVDs work better for you so you can follow someone else's lead in the privacy of your home. Or maybe home equipment is what will energize you and keep you on track. Whatever. But please don't let the busyness of life stop you from keeping your body strong and healthy.

You're worth it - and I'm sure your loved ones think so, too! You CAN do it.

4 comments:

  1. I joined a fitness club during a membership drive they were having. Was looking for how I was going to run during the winter as you know I live where there are no sidewalks so it gets iffy with snow and plows. Haven't been yet so am canceling it. If my daughter wants to continue, I will find her a different place I think.

    Still looking at getting some form of inside machinery but it will be Feb probably as the Jan tuition bills will soon arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I worry about how you ran last year with those roads by your house! YIKES! And yes, home equipment can add up - just like those tuition bills, eh?! :-)

    It's really a tough decision - health club membership or home equipment? Those are decisions that are unique to each individual. If you do decide to look for home equipment, try checking Craigslist. When I bought my elliptical, I got it for $100 brand new on a Nordic Track clearance site. I looked for a treadmill on Craigslist, but the ones I found appeared really "used" and I worried that I wouldn't have the warranty on the motor, etc. I found a great deal at Sears on the one I purchased.

    Nicki - you've been an inspiration. You're committed to your health and it shows! I know you'll continue working out - doing what it takes within your circumstances to stay fit!

    Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran outside yesterday, Val, and am still cold. I am running my first race tomorrow and knew I couldn't do it on just indoor prep. Good thing, too, as I realized I need one more layer on top.

    Have a great Christmas with everyone home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you're still cold!!! Temps are supposed to be below zero with windchill! Gosh, my asthma would be awful in this cold.... But you are absolutely right about indoor running not being enough to prep for a race.

    While the treadmill allows me to keep running when I might not be able to otherwise, I can always tell the difference when I get back outdoors...I can't run as far as what I've done on the treadmill and I'm winded earlier. That's why the treadmill is my "back up"...outdoor running is my first choice.

    Have a GREAT race! And Merry Christmas - I hope you enjoy your family being home, too!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful in any comments you choose to leave...thank you!